Dr Wendy James
Contact OfficerMiss Heather Summers
Personal Assistant / School Communications & Events Coordinator
- +617 3623 7851
Associate Professor Dr Wendy James is a fully Certified Management Accountant (CMA) as well as a Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) and a Chartered Accountant (CA). Dr James is the National Deputy Head of the Peter Faber Business School. Prior to this Dr James was the National Head of the Accounting Discipline at the Australian Catholic University (ACU) and has been at a number of universities including Charles Darwin University (CDU) and before that Torrens University Australia (TUA), part of the international Laureate group of universities. Dr James has also spent time with the University of Adelaide and the University of South Australia where she was a senior lecturer with Open Universities Australia. Before working with the University of Adelaide, Wendy spent five years as associate professor and Head of Accounting with a large government university in Dubai. Whilst in Dubai, she also spent time working for the Central Bank of Dubai training financial accountants. Prior to working internationally, Dr James was a senior lecturer at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane. Here, Wendy was involved with the Centre of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies attached to the university. Whilst in this capacity Wendy was also a member of a professional teaching team which developed and delivered Accounting for Projects to finance managers around the world, employed by Royal Dutch Shell. Dr James has a wealth of experience in teaching a number of financial and managerial accounting courses as well as Information Systems and has taught at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels at a number of universities in South East Queensland, including Griffith University, University of Southern Queensland and Bond University. Prior to teaching Dr James was involved in a number of management positions both in industry and the public sector.  In her early academic career, Wendy was awarded the Women's Academic Achievement Award which enabled her to further her interest in research. Dr James' current research interests include: accounting education management accounting and control systems, performance management, organisational change, public sector financial management and strategic management accounting in the private, public and not for profit sectors. Dr James has a number of published articles in prominent accounting journals to which she also referees up and coming research articles by other authors.
- Students' evaluation and satisfaction of web-based recording. Australian Journal of Accounting Education. 2015. Under review.
- Ethical Evaluations and Behavioural Intentions of Early Career Accountants in the UAE: The Impact of Mentors, Peers and Individual Attributes. Journal of Business Ethics Education. 2013, Volume 6.
- A Comparative Study of the Effect of Web-Based Versus In-Class Textbook Ethics Instruction on Accounting Students&rsquo Propensity to Whistle-Blow. Journal of Education for Business. 2012, Volume 87, Issue 6.
- An empirical study of the influence of mentors and organizational climate on the ethical attitudes and decision-making of National female business graduates in the United Arab Emirates. Journal of Business Ethics Education. 2011, Volume 8, 33-54, 2011.
- The Relationship between Costing Systems and Performance Management Systems and their Combine Effect on Performance under Alternative Competitive Strategies. Accounting, Accountability and Performance. 2010, Vol 1/2.
- Rationality, Institutionalism and Accounting Change: Understanding a Performance Management System within an Australian Public Sector Entity. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 2009, Vol 5, No 3.
- A Processual View of Institutional Change of the Budget Process within an Australian Government Owned Electricity Corporation. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 2006, Vol 19, No 1.
- The Impact of Corporatisation and National Competition Policy: An Exploratory Study of Organisational Change and Leadership Style. Leadership and Organisational Development Journal, 2005, Vol 26, No 4.
- Perceived Usefulness of Course Websites, Computer Proficiency, Need for Achievement and Student Performance: An Exploratory Study, 2005, Australian Journal of Accounting Education Volume 1, Number 1.
- Linking Balanced Scorecard Measures to Size and Market Factors: Impact on Organizational Performance, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 2000, Vol 12, pp. 1 &ndash 17
- On the Use of Balanced Scorecard Performance Measurement Systems, Australian Accountant, November, 1997, pp. 46-47.
Accounting MOOC, Presented at:
- Creative Digital Learning Laboratory: A lightning Symposium, International Graduate Centre of Education, Darwin , December, 2015.
Ethical Evaluations and Behavioural Intentions of Early Career Accountants in the UAE: The Impact of Mentors, Peers and Individual Attributes, Presented at:
- Tenth Decision Sciences International Conference, Nancy, France, June 2009
Accounting for the Economic Consequences of Volunteering. Presented at:
- Eleventh National Conference on Volunteering, Melbourne, March 2006.
Corporatization, Competition Policy and the Institutionalization of a Balanced Approach to Performance Management. Presented at:
- Asian Pacific Interdisciplinary Research in Accounting (APIRA) Conference, Singapore, July, 2004
Budgeting Change in an Australian Government Owned Electricity Corporation: A Processual Tale. Presented at:
- British Accounting Association (BAA) Conference, Manchester, April, 2003.
Linking Balanced Scorecard Measures to Size and Market Factors: Impact on Organizational Performance. Presented at:
- Accounting Association of Australia and New Zealand (AAANZ) Conference, Adelaide, July, 1999
- American Accounting Association (AAA) Conference, New Orleans, August, 1999
Strategic Priorities, Multi-Dimensional Performance Measures and Their Relationship with Organizational Effectiveness. Presented at:
- British Accounting Association (BAA) Conference, Glasgow, March, 1999.
Associate Professor, Head of Accounting Discipline, Australian Catholic University, Brisbane.
Associate Professor, Head of Accounting Discipline, Charles Darwin University, Darwin.
Head of Discipline, Torrens University Australia (Laureate University), Adelaide.
Contractor, University of South Australia, Adelaide.
Contractor, University of Adelaide, Adelaide.
Associate Professor, Zayed University, Dubai.
Senior Lecturer, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane
Visiting Assistant Professor, Bond University, Gold Coast
Senior Lecturer, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba
Lecturer and Visiting Lecturer, Griffith University, Gold Coast
- Founding member, Institute of Certified Management Accountants (ICMA)
- Certified Practicing Accountant of Australia (CPA)
Page last updated: 2018-01-22
Short url: https://www.acu.edu.au/1273347