A/Prof Pre De Silva
Pre De Silva is a chemist in the School of Behavioural and Health Sciences at North Sydney campus. She obtained her PhD from the University of Aberdeen (UK).  Before joining ACU she worked as a Lecturer at the University of Ruhuna (Sri Lanka), as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Lancaster (UK) and then as a Research Scientist in the Manufacturing and Materials Division at CSIRO.
From her research work, Dr De Silva has produced a total of more than 40 refereed journal papers, conference presentations and research reports/pending patents.
De Silva P, Hanjitsuwan S and Chindaprasirt P. &ldquo The Role of Si02 and Al203 on the Properties of Geopolymers with and without Calcium&rdquo  Developments in Strategic Materials and Computational Design IV: Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, 2013, Volume 34, Issue 10, pp 25-35 (ISBN: 978-1-118-80727-9)
Robinson K, Ballard F., De Silva P, Hendrick L, Macgibbon M, Metha H & Rouf A.&ldquo Academic guided peer support for struggling first year students&rdquo Learning, Teaching and Social Justice in Higher Education, University of Melbourne Scholarship Research Centre Publishers (2010) 189-199. (ISBN/APN: 9781921775284)
Journal Publications (2006 onwards)
- De Silva P, Downs J., Olufson K.,, Davis J., Vance E. R.,and Johnson G., &lsquoAqueous leaching of an industrial geopolymer&rsquo (2016), Journal of Aus. Ceram. Soc. Vol 52, 1-6pg
- Tennakoon, C, De Silva P, Sagoe-Crentsil K, Sanjayan J. G., (2015)Influence and role of feedstock Si and Al content in Geopolymer synthesis. Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials Vol. 4, No. 2, 129&ndash139
- Sagoe-Crentsil K, De Silva P., &ldquoAlkali activated binders: Early age nucleation reactions, chemical phase evolution and their implications on system properties&rdquo (2015) The journal of the Chinese ceramic society, Vol 43, No 10, 1449 - 1456
- Kulasuriya C., Vimonsatit V., Dias WPS, De Silva P. "Design and development of Alkali Pozzolan Cement" (2014) Construction and Building Materials 426-433pg
- Sukmak P, De Silva P, Horpibulsuk S, and Chindaprasirt P, "Sulphate Resistance of Clay-Portland system and Clay-High calcium Flyash Geopolymer system" Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (2015) 27(5), 04014158 (2015)
- Chindaprasirt P, De Silva P, Hanjitsuwan S. "Effect of High Speed mixing on Properties of High Calcium Fly ash geopolymer Paste" Arabian journal of Science and Engineering (2014) DOI 10.1007/s13369-014-1217-1
- Chindaprasirt P. De Silva P., Sagoe-Crentsil K. and Hanjitsuwan S. " Effect of SiO2 and Al2O3 on the setting and hardening of high calcium fly ash-based geopolymer systems" Journal of Materials Science, Volume 47, Number 12 (2012), 4876-4883
- De Silva, P Bucea L., Sirivivatnanon V., &ldquoChemical, Microstructural and Strength development of calcium and magnesium carbonate binders&rdquo Cement and Concrete Research (2009) 39, 460&ndash465
- De Silva, P , Sagoe-Crentsil K., &ndash&ndash&ldquoThe role of Oxides on the amorphous &ndash crystalline phase transformation in geopolymers&rdquo Journal of the Aus. Ceram. Soc (2009) 45, 63-71 (ERA
- De Silva, P and Sagoe-Crentsil K., &ldquoThe medium term stability of Na2O-Al2O3-SiO2-H2O geopolymer phases&rdquo Cement and Concrete Research, (2008)  38 /6, 870-876
- De Silva, P and Sagoe-Crentsil K., &ldquoThe effect of Al and Si on setting and hardening of Na2O-Al2O3-SiO2-H2O geopolymer systems&rdquo Journal of the Aus. Ceram. Soc (2008) 44 (1), 39-46
- De Silva, P , Sagoe-Crentsil K., and Sirivivatnanon V., &ldquoKinetics of Geopolymerisation: Role of Al2O3 and SiO2&rdquo Cement and Concrete Research, (2007) 37, 512-518
- De Silva, P. , Bucea L., Sirivivatnanon V and Moorehead D., &ldquoCarbonate binders by cold sintering of calcium carbonate&rdquo Journal of Material Science, (2007)  42 (16),  6792-6797
- De Silva, P., Bucea L., Moorehead D and Sirivivatnanon V., &ldquoCarbonate binders: Kinetics, strength and microstructure&rdquo Cement and Concrete Composites, 2006, 28, 613-620
Conference Presentations (2006 onwards)
- De Silva, P.  &ndash Invited Speaker.  37th International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites held in Florida, USA 2013
- Hanjitsuwan S, De Silva P.,  Chindaprasirt P.,  4th KKU International Engineering Conference 2012 (KKU-IENC 2012) in Thailand in May 2012.
- Chand H., De Silva P., Vance L, Sagoe-Crenstil K., &ldquoThe role of Oxide content of geopolymers in Cs and Sr immobilisation&rdquo PacRim 9 &ldquoThe 9th International Meeting of Pacific Rim Ceramic Societies, Cairns, July 2011
- De Silva, P. &ndash Invited Speaker - Geopolymer International Conference held at the Institute of Geopolymers in Paris, France, July 2010
- De Silva, P &ndash&ldquoamorphous &ndash crystalline phase transformation in geopolymers&rdquo Materials and Austceramics International Conference, Gold Coast, 2009.
- De Silva, P &ndash Invited Lecture &ndashThe Royal Golden Jubilee research presentations on Geopolymers Khon Kaen University, Thailand Sept. 2008
- De Silva, P., &ldquosetting and hardening of geopolymer systems&rdquo Materials and Austceramics International Conference, Sydney, 2007.
Dr De Silva has extensive research experience in wider areas of chemistry and these include:
- Novel biomaterials for bio-medical applications
- Utilization of industrial wastes in the development of eco-friendly, low-carbon binders
- Development of inorganic polymer systems suitable to immobilize radioactive wastes
- Carbon dioxide mineral sequestration
- Development of cleaning up technologies for waste water and industrial spillage
- The effect of various aggressive environments on the service life of building and structures
She has served as a consultant for a number of industry based projects in the above areas.
Current Research Projects
- ARC Linkage Industrial Transformation Research Hub (IH150100006) - Collaboration with UTS and Monash University
- Application of inorganic polymers (Geopolymers) in nuclear waste disposal - Collaboration with ANSTO & CSIRO
- Use of rice husk ash in the Geopolymer development - Collaboration with Khon Kaen University, Thailand
Page last updated: 2018-01-22
Short url: https://www.acu.edu.au/1273347